I mentioned in the last post that this was a salame I really wanted to try and make but had trouble finding solid references around ratios and level of spicing. As one might expect, this has the potential to go one of two ways, a surprising success or a blazing failure. "Blazing failure" is probably a bit strong, but the salame wasn't a huge success in my book. This is true for a couple of reasons. 1. The level of clove I used was probably 2x what it should be. At a volume of .25% of total weight, this could have easily been reduced down to .1 and been more than adequate.
2. The liver at 25% was FAR too much liver. It left the salumi a bit mushy and tasting of the ever popular liver taste, aka iron. If I were to make this again I would most likely go down to about 10% at most and use the liver as a flavoring agent more so then an integral part of the meat binding.
Let me be clear in that this is by no means a "waste" it's just a very very strong flavor which some folks have really loved and others have been turned off by. It's the nature of liver after all. When you consider this is the first time I've made this and with little to no reference, I'm ok with where it turned out as a first pass, but I have a lot of work to do to make this a winner in my repertoire.